How your patients should use BROVANA
It is important that patients understand how to use BROVANA Inhalation Solution with a nebulizer appropriately, and how it should be used in relation to other medications they are taking to treat COPD. Patients should be instructed not to mix other medications with BROVANA Inhalation Solution and not to inject or swallow BROVANA Inhalation Solution. Patients should throw the plastic dispensing vials away immediately after use. Due to their small size, the vials pose a danger of choking to young children.
Women should be advised to contact their physician if they become pregnant or if they are nursing.
BROVANA should only be taken with a standard jet nebulizer (also known as a compressed-air nebulizer) and matching air compressor. The nebulizer converts the liquid medication into a fine mist, which is then inhaled by breathing through a mouthpiece or mask.
- It takes about 5 to 10 minutes for each BROVANA treatment—twice a day
- Additional time and multiple steps are needed to set up and clean the device after each use
- Each unit dose vial of BROVANA is 1 dose (15 mcg)
- The usual dose of BROVANA for the treatment of COPD symptoms is 1 vial twice a day (morning and evening) breathed in through a nebulizer
- Each dose of nebulized BROVANA is taken about 12 hours apart; COPD patients should not use more than 2 vials a day
- If a COPD patient misses a dose of BROVANA, they should skip that dose and take the next one at their usual time
- BROVANA should be used exactly as prescribed
How to Use BROVANA
Do not mix BROVANA with other medicines in your nebulizer machine.
BROVANA comes sealed in a foil pouch. Do not open a sealed pouch until you are ready to use a dose of BROVANA. After opening the pouch, unused ready-to-use vials should be returned to, and stored in, the pouch. An opened ready-to-use vial should be used right away.
1. Open the foil pouch by tearing on the rough edge along the seam of the pouch. Remove a ready-to-use vial of BROVANA.
2. Carefully twist open the top of the ready-to-use vial and use it right away.
3. Squeeze all of the medicine from the ready-to-use vial into the nebulizer medicine cup (reservoir).
4. Connect the nebulizer reservoir to the mouthpiece or face mask.
5. Connect the nebulizer to the compressor.
6. Sit in a comfortable, upright position. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth (or put on the face mask) and turn on the compressor.
7. Breathe as calmly, deeply, and evenly as possible until no more mist is formed in the nebulizer reservoir. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes for each treatment.
8. Clean the nebulizer (see manufacturer’s instructions).